Burg Katz and St. Goarshausen
Burg Katz stands guard over the town of St. Goarshausen, on the east bank of the Rhine River. Just to the right but out of the photo is the Loralei rock. The photo was taken from the west bank of the Rhine.
Burg Katz (New Katzenelnbogen) was erected in 1371 by Graf Wilhelm II von Katzenelnbogen as a defensive and military base. After being raised during the Hesse Epoch, the circular castle keep with its helmeted top reached a height of 60 metres (ca. 180 ft.) Napoleon had the castle blown up during French occupation of the territory in 1806. It changed hands several times, and then between 1896 and 1898, was once more restored.
Date: 26 May 1996
Location: St. Goarshausen, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Original media: Fujichrome™ Velvia™ 50
Capture: Pentax SF-1
Scan: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED
Processing: Processed from RAW using Nikon Capture NX2